History of Ndola Lime Company
Ndola Lime Company Limited (NLC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of ZCCM-IH.Our Mission is to supply Limestone products that satisfy customer requirements to the benefit of all stakeholders. The Company was originally founded on 10th January 1931 as the Northern Rhodesia Lime Company Limited, pursuant to an agreement between the Rhokana Corporation Limited and Mr. John Owen Wallen, a Ndola Engineer to supply lime to the mines.
Initial lime burning trials were carried out in woodfired, hollowed-out Anthills at Misundu 16 Km North of Ndola close to the Congo border in 1931. The results were encouraging and this led to the construction of underground pot kilns. A second quarry was opened in the late 1930’s at Chipulukusu before the company moved to its present location at Mwatesi in 1962.